The Davis Paint Story


DAVIS PAINT MANUFACTURERS was founded in 1936 by James T. Davis, Sr., when he opened a single store in downtown Lynchburg, Virginia. In 1966, property was purchased and a new Davis Paint manufacturing facility was built the next year. In 1995, Davis Paint was acquired by Cal and Denise Henning and their business partner, David Boie, and the company was renamed Davis-Frost, Inc.

With roots dating back to 1918 with Frost Paint and Oil Company in Minneapolis, Minnesota and to 1936 with Davis Paint Manufacturers in Lynchburg, VA, Davis-Frost has a long history of supplying industrial and architectural coatings customers.

Davis-Frost is one of the most diversified manufacturers of coatings in the country. It has several divisions that service North America in OEM, railcar, structural steel, and metal building manufacturers. Additionally, DFI manufactures Davis Paint which is sold to independent dealer locations in the Mid-Atlantic Region of the U.S. Davis Paint is an active member and integral part of Color Guild International, which is comprised of more than 55 independent paint manufacturers from 14 different countries and is dedicated to the marketing, promotion, and maintaining the highest standards of color with its universal system, Color IS.